Working on the abstract and slipped poignant in, but got unsure as to what it actually implies/means so I checked it out online- and it's way more interesting than I thought it was.
I also like how it kind of sounds like it means, like a pin-prick. And isn't it oh so close to, but not quite, repugnant?
Anyway, I don't think it really works the way I'm trying to use it but oh well.
(from here: http://thesaurus.com/browse/poignant)
one:
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: affecting, painful
Synonyms: agitating, agonizing, bitter, distressing, disturbing, emotional, heartbreaking, heartrending, impressive, intense, moving, passionate, pathetic, perturbing, piteous, pitiful, sad, sentimental, sorrowful, touching, upsetting
Antonyms: calm, numb, pleasant, soothing, unaffecting
two:
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: sharp, bitter
Synonyms: acrid, acute, biting, caustic, keen, penetrating, peppery, piercing, piquant, pointed, pungent, racy, sarcastic, severe, snappy, spicy, stinging, tangy, zesty
Antonyms: blah, blunt, dull
Yes, look at this too!
(from here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/poignant)
poign·ant (poin
y
nt)adj.
2. Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.
3.
4. Agreeably intense or stimulating: poignant delight.
5. Archaic
1.
a. Profoundly moving; touching: a poignant memory.
b. Physically painful: "Keen, poignant agonies seemed to shoot from his neck downward" (Ambrose Bierce).
c. Keenly distressing to the mind or feelings: poignant anxiety.
2. Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.
3.
a. Neat, skillful, and to the point: poignant illustrations supplementing the text.
b. Astute and pertinent; relevant: poignant suggestions.
4. Agreeably intense or stimulating: poignant delight.
5. Archaic
a. Sharp or sour to the taste; piquant.
b. Sharp or pungent to the smell.
No comments:
Post a Comment