Thursday, December 3, 2009

mirror cabinet vs. boxes of light

click to enlarge

Some early sketches, which led to

this messy sheet, which breaks down to

basically, the bed option;

the corner option;

and the alley option.

In these I'm pretty obsessed with certain things, as you can probably see. Having some sort of mass of light in the darkness. The objects floating within. The visitor alone in a sea of reflections and scent.

how they look reflected on clear glass. worth it?

But then I came to - this precipitated by a trip to Home Depot - and now I'm trying to come up with something equally (or more) satisfying but less expensive, time-consuming, structurally unsound, wacked out. What I've come up with is... more boxes - this time solid and opaque.

So if anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm up for decisive votes for or against anything... tell me what you think will work, physically, conceptually, aesthetically, whatever. I'm open for business.





P.S. The idea that seemed most promising in my head yesterday was the low-lying bench-like thing with cut-out niches for the objects to sit in, perhaps lined with angled mirrors or glass and lit from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment