

Trying to conjure up an abstract but drawing a blank, worried (constantly worried!) I'm going to shoot blanks, one after another.
Instead, here are some things I wrote down as I watched that interview earlier. To preface these notes I should mention that I had no idea who those men were as I watched their conversation... I had the vague sense that one was a somewhat famous artist, and the other, a well known television personality. It was nice to watch and listen with no preconceptions, no preformed biases other than knowing it was going to be a certain kind of talk - not a candid chat amongst friends, not a scripted act, but something walking the line between.
While I was quite taken by what Clemente had to say, I wasn't that crazy about most of the actual pieces shown. They are nice and all but don't really resonate with me, strike me down like I like to be struck. Strewn in this posting are some that I like more. What I do like about the work is its incredible and vast range in style, media, impulse and imagery (this from a precursory look at what came up in google images) - its consistent change. So while I love looking at beautiful images, right now, I'd rather hear reflections from a life being lived artfully. I probably see too much beauty already, without knowing what to do with it.
Some notes out of context:
boredom and empty afternoons
waiting
not decisions but acceptance, listening, not understanding
wonderment
physical presence
make room for luck, luck will make room
deepest human desire is for narrative, for images, for drama
to have and tell a story
there is no hope for a rational society
light and shadow
dark ground - the undefined, the unknown, things that don't have a name
important to consider that ground, it will feed you and give legitimacy to what you do- darkness, shadow, vagueness, forgetfulness
experiences of mortality and relativity
who is under the persona, masked
psychedelic experiments, the person i am can disappear at any moment
fragility and questions of being
doubt, change
"the most interesting time is now"
portraiture of the total person, not that moment in time
art is manual labour
horizons, rivers and wells, floods
female bridge and male castle
flexibility and inclusivity vs simple complexity
separation from people makes one weak, you are result of people around you
not a circle but a spiral, opening up, dimensionality
letting go
openness vs clinging attachment, stopping flow
narrative of form
forms of narrative
eroticism metaphor for spirituality
talent - language - communication
contemplative traditions
interdependence of all things
cultivate your vulnerability
*All images by Francesco Clemente
No comments:
Post a Comment